House of Matriarch reveals the costs associated with their HIGH PERFUMERY creations explaining why their fragrances for both men and women are more costly than designer scents.
1) QUALITY & COMPLEXITY OF BLENDS House of Matriarch perfumes are between 95 and 100 percent natural. Blends are very complex with between 100 and 300 individual notes. Many of the raw materials are scarce and highly valued - in the world of perfumery they are known as "noble materials". In comparing the market price on the commonly used essences of natural jasmine, rose and sandalwood against their synthetic replacements you will notice that those natural raw materials are on average 100x more expensive. Natural fixatives of ambergris, hyraceum and ambrette add an additional layer of luxury (and their associated cost) to the formula.
2) SUPERIOR DISTILLATE The ethanol used to create House of Matriarch perfumes is distilled from Washington grown, organic grapes in the copper still pictured below - it happens right here in Seattle at the famous Glass Distillery. Mass market perfumes are blended with industrially distilled corn alcohol with de-naturants added. (The real culprit behind most "perfume allergies") The distillate used to create our perfumes is 10x more expensive than regular "perfumers alcohol - it is pure enough for creating medicinal tinctures and for pharmaceutical compounding - it also considered Halal. Ethanol comprises up to 70% of the fragrance and is the secret for creating a perfume that improves with time, instead of degrading after a few years like mass produced fragrances. House of Matriarch perfumes are the only brand marked with the vintage year - because this kind of ethanol allows the perfume to improve with each passing year like a fine wine.
3) HANDMADE Matriarch perfumes are produced by hand in small batches and filled by our Pefumer by hand in Seattle, WA. Designer fragrances are made by machine; mostly in overseas factories with no personal touch. House of Matriarch offers a direct connection to the Perfumer - there are no other fragrance house involved - this is rare and special.
4) RELEVANCE EQUALS VALUE House of Matriarch perfumes do not smell like anything else on the market. There are no short-cuts or less expensive ways of achieving this level of relevance and distinctiveness without the materials and methods that we use to make our perfumes. Mark-up is slim compared to the designer brands who add thousands of percentage points to the actual cost of production to cover the costs of issuing countless free samples and to compensate expensive spokes models. This makes House of Matriarch perfumes a better VALUE than other perfumes.
5) WORTH THE PRICE Artisan perfumes are not for everyone - they are not simple toiletries - they are aimed at the connoisseur who is looking for an elevated fragrance experience and who expects to pay more for the qualities our perfumes embody. Many people who cannot wear conventional fragrances due to allergies find House of Matriarch perfumes delightful. In this case, the price informs the customer of the quality they can expect when they experience our fragrances.
As always, let your nose decide!
More than 30% of women and nearly 40% of men have SPECIFIC ANOSMIA - olfactory blind spots which impact their evaluation of fragrances.
Now you can put your olfactory sense to the test to discover what you may be missing with the first of it's kind PERFUME SPECIFIC ANOSMIA TEST PANEL compiled by our Perfumer Christi Meshell. The panel tests your detection of eight common anosmic materials commonly found in fine fragrances that could be affecting your perfume evaluations and creations. Most are base notes, all are cruelty free and the kit employs both natural and synthetic materials.
Once you learn your results, the remainder of your sample can be used to train your nose to more effectively detect the odors you had difficulty smelling - or perhaps couldn't smell at all. There have been amazing clinical successes in decreasing 'thresholds of detection' in both men and women who have used this method to increase their sensitivity to aromas that were previously a challenge to detect.
For those who take smelling seriously, this panel is a must! Brand owners, creative directors and fragrance critics can now be sure they are among the 60% who can "smell it all" before they begin impressing their ideas and creations onto the rest of the smelling world!
The economically priced kit includes an email consultation with Christi regarding your results after your test is complete. Score perfect results and you will receive a "Perfect Nose" certificate which you can proudly share on your website or blog.
*DISCLAIMER: This panel is for fun, education and self discovery - results do not constitute a medical diagnosis, nor is there a guarantee that improvement in olfaction will result from studying with this kit. All results are being kept confidential.
A private label fragrance can elevate and distinguish your brand while creating new revenue streams and an ongoing legacy for your brand story. From ultra-exclusive specialty runs to wide scale production, our Perfumer Christi Meshell offers exceptional fine fragrance and flavor creation for independent brands and artists.
As an independent House free of the usual industry confines, we offer our clients the rare opportunity to work directly with our Perfumer from start to finish. This allows for a true co-creation of your fragrance or flavor in accordance with the vision you hold for your brand and the project.
TASTE TV has announced that House of Matriarch’s “We Believe in Magic" video marketing campaign for the Nordstrom 2015 retail launch has been previewed and named as a finalist for the Ferrara Flame Award for Best Branded Video Promotion/Campaign and also for Best Branded Program.
We share this honor with our director and branding team, GIRVIN Design, product stylist Michael Kennedy, producer Jennie Lake and cinematographer Jenessa Joffe of Thousand Faces Media, and cinematographer Adrian Rhetoric of Lamda Entertainment.
Here are a few behind the scenes pictures from the Trillium shoot:
The Stars on 45 Medley is "OH, MY STARS!" Disco in liquid form. Unapologetically vintage. TOP: iris, davana, mimosa, cannabis, shiso, geranium. HEART: patchouli, rose, amber, agarwood, jasmine, lily. BASE: ambrette musk, tobacco, orris root, labdanum, East Indian sandalwood.
Located on Seattle's Eastside, House of Matriarch creates perfumes and flavors for niche market segments and independent private labels. Our award winning perfumes are created with timeless methods and noble materials. Through the ancient Royal Art of High Perfumery, we enter the Temple of Alchemy to embody fragrance at its highest: Mother Nature in liquid form.
Our Perfumer and brand visionary, Christi Meshell is "the Nose" behind some of the most compelling new fragrances in today's niche marketplace. Her versatility as both Creative Director and Fragrance Composer allow her to single-handedly develop a concept from initial inspiration through final display. Each of her creations is an original design, composed from her proprietary accords and without any premixed bases or fillers. Critics and fans continually laud her designs with accolades like "The Gold Standard in Fragrance", "Genius in a Bottle" and "The Priestess of Perfumery".
A mystical heritage has called her the lifelong study of magical correspondences, plant medicine and sacred cosmology, knowledge which finds practical application in the fragrance creation process. In August, 2013 Christi received the title Top Artisan Perfumer at the International Fragrance Awards and in December, 2013 House of Matriarch was named TOP INDIE FRAGRANCE HOUSE of 2013 by Cafleurebon. Her work has also been praised in Men's Journal, Sunset Magazine and Seattle Magazine.
Christi launched her first perfume in Bellevue in 2009, and she's been churning out award winning compositions under her own Matriarch brand and for private labels all around the world. Her first cult classic, BLACKBIRD created a stir in fragrance circles in 2012 when it beat out anchor brands like Versace and Chanel in sniff tests. Some say BLACKBIRD marked the "dawn of a new era in perfumery" . Now all eyes are on Seattle and the "fragrance revolution" she has been credited with igniting.
"Beauty will save the World." C. Meshell
Best Indie Perfume House of 2013: House of Matriarch
MB: Perfumer Christi Meshell truly stepped up her game this year and her House of Matriarch had a spectacular year of creativity. It started with The Maj and ended with Sacre Tabac Part 1; in between was Blackbird, Woo, Entendre, Lucid and the fantastic Achtung Collection. Incredible year for Ms. Meshell where she really created a brand identity for House of Matriarch.
MC: That is exactly what I would have written, almost to the word, but must add, the House Of Matriarch began its transformation last year with Forbidden, which was a special project between The Natural Perfumer's Guild and CaFleureBon for Ophiuchus. Don't forget Coco Blanc and a wonderful website redesign; House of Matriarch is a perfect example of one woman staying true to her spiritual self and she shares her good fortune with numerous charities in the Seattle Community. 2013 is the year that Christi successfully combined creativity with commerce.